TAF 1073 DP Microphone Preamplifier
The TAF 1073 DP is a high quality 2 channel microphone preamplifier hosted in a 1U rack case. Big and present sound with a harmonically rich low end and very focused mid range.
This is our recreation of the famous 1073 type Class A preamplifier without the additional EQ found on this classic unit. The design employs an all transistor based 3 gain stage preamplifier circuit, all discreet transformer-coupled on both inputs and outputs. High headroom, very low distortion and lots of available gain are the characteristics of this design.
We use only high quality components with tight tolerances. Also due to carefully placement of inside components, a very low crosstalk between channels is achieved. A separate power supply helps to achieve very low noise operation.
An interesting function is the output trim selector switch that converts the output level control to a 0 to -80 dB output fader level control or a 0 to -6 dB output level trim control. With this in hand you can use the gain rotary switch at very high levels and attenuate the output level control to obtain a proper signal level at the output without clipping the tape machine or DAW converters. Conversely you can use this output level control to match the levels between channels precisely with a 0 to -6 dB range.
Both channels have a HI Z input on front panel for instruments and keyboards.
It can be ordered without the TAF B283 internal boards. This is a good solution for those who have the luxury of having an original vintage NEVE B283 or B183 boards and want to make a full preamplifier out of them. You have to open the unit and plug those boards to the internal 18 pin connector and they will be ready to work with all of the features.
- 2 channels of the classic English console preamplifier sound
- Front panel switch for phantom power and polarity reversal
- Grayhill rotary switch gain control from 15 to 70 dB gain in 5 dB steps
- Input impedance selector switch between 1200 and 300 ohms
- HIZ JFET input on the front panel
- Up to 70 dB of available gain (It can be raised up to 75 dB with internal jumper option)
- Carnhill input and output transformers
- High quality Bourns conductive plastic potenciometer on output trim control
- High quality tantalum and polystyrene capacitors on audio signal path
- Comes with gold Neutrik XLR input and output connectors.
- Custom choice of with or without internal TAF B283 cards
- Soldered by hand
Number of microphone inputs
Number of outputs
1 per channel
230/115 Volts AC
Send us an email for pricing if you want it without TAF B283 internal boards.
This item is hand-built to order, to ensure the best attention to detail is paid to its construction. This allows us to build a very high quality product overall. Please allow at least 7-10 business days for your order to be built and then shipped.
21% VAT will be added on countries within the EU